Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Truffula Tree

I'm going back almost a two full months on this one, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share our story of the Truffula Tree. Have you seen Dr. Seuss' The Lorax? It's a favorite in our house. It came out on DVD only about 1 month before Scarlet's third birthday in September. We watched it. We watched it a lot.

In talking about her birthday, she had been telling us various things she really wanted. New dolls, barbies, more books. But about a week before her birthday, all those wishes changed...into a single, solitary birthday wish. She wanted a tree.

It took us a couple of days to decode this one. She said that it should be just like the one Ted gave Audrey. It should be pink and it should smell really sweet (like, err...butterflies' milk???) I finally figured out that she was talking about the Truffula Tree.


It was funny because for that week, no matter when or how you asked her, she wanted a Truffula Tree. My mother in law even called to make sure I knew that she was asking for a tree for her birthday. I think she was relieved to find out that we had decoded this request and it could be attributed to a cartoon movie instead of an early desire to be an arborist.

So, my task became finding her a Truffula Tree. They don't sell these babies. They have to be made. Luckily, there was a very easy tutorial I found online. It only took about 15 minutes in all and this was the result:


And this was the reaction. She was ecstatic. She carried it around for two full days. She said she was happier than Audrey. ;-)




1 comments:

Emily said...

What a sweet story!